Ravelry

Monday, November 2, 2009

Frog and learn and knit again

As I said in the second post, I am making a pair of socks out of Felici from Knit Picks. I was using the Berry Season pattern from 2 at a time by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. However, as I knitted the pattern gauge was shorter than the plain stockinette stitches of the sole. So I had to frog and redo the sock with another pattern. I used another pattern from the same book, Twilight. The socks are coming along well. I am going to use the short row heel instead of a gusset heel.

I learned that sometimes socks do not always turn out the way you think they will. Sometimes they take on a life of their own. I set out this year to make socks for my family and adopted 'family'. When I started out I had certain ideas about how the socks would turn out. Boy, was I wrong. As I knitted sock after sock, I started to understand sock construction better, and I also started to use parts of one sock pattern that I had learned in another sock that was completely different. It has been a stretching experience. I have learned more about knitting and have loved every minute of it. I have now added sock knitting to my knitting 'arsenal'. Next up colorwork and lace.

No comments:

Post a Comment